(urth) What's So Great About Ushas?

Adam Thornton adam at io.com
Wed Jul 16 10:07:07 PDT 2008

On Jul 16, 2008, at 11:53 AM, Matthew wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 11:43 AM, Adam Thornton <adam at io.com> wrote:
>> I wonder how long it will be until we hear the Bush administration,
>> and
>> perhaps certain other beloved purveyors of fiction with soft spots
>> for
>> torture and torturers, justifying waterboarding as baptism and the
>> washing
>> away of all sins?  We could not only be gaining
>> completely-accurate-and-in-no-way-suspect intelligence, we could
>> also be
>> redeeming lost heathen souls for Christ.
>
> This is the Gene Wolfe mailing list, not DailyKos or
> LittleGreenFootballs.
>
> Please to keep the inflammatory political content where it belongs.

Hey: is the submerging of Ushas drowning, or baptism?

Seriously: we're supposed to be talking about the writings of someone
who is a) famously conservative, and b) famously Catholic, with c)
some really nonstandard theology, which d) comes out all over his
books, and e) not talk about politics and its intersection with
religion?

I think that's....a bit unrealistic.

Adam