(urth) What's So Great About Ushas?

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Wed Jul 16 06:33:01 PDT 2008

Paul B wrote:
> After all, humans/aliens with advanced powers like time-travel are a
> common enough SF idea.  Usually these advanced, intertemporal
> interlopers don't get special moral privileges.

Except for stories where they war with humanity, my experience is the
opposite; they are almost always used as a superior moral example in
contrast to humanity's short-term and self-centered morality. This has
fairly recently been taken to its ultimate extreme in the second year of
the revived "Doctor Who" when The Doctor literally and explicitly

1) declares himself the ultimate moral authority of the universe.
2) faces and defeats the devil in spiritual, intellectual, and physical
contests.
3) condemns the Cybermen and the Daleks to fire and brimstone.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >