(urth) What's So Great About Ushas?

Paul B pb.stuff at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 18:12:14 PDT 2008

In my mind at least, the putative gap between the Hierogrammates and humans
is not much greater than one between a human who knows mathematics and one
who doesn't.
Hierogrammates are the creation of advanced humans.  A creator's making a
creation better than itself is questionable, and the Hierogrammates give
little indication of being better than high-tech humans at any rate.

After all, humans/aliens with advanced powers like time-travel are a common
enough SF idea.  Usually these advanced, intertemporal interlopers don't get
special moral privileges.  Just because this particular variety of the trope
claims to be higher beings akin to angels is no reason to believe it.

Fundamentally I believe they're still the same order of beings, just with
bells and whistles.

Paul

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 2:20 PM, b sharp <bsharporflat at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Paul B posts:
> >Any society is comprised of individuals on a continuum of cognitive
> >ability.  To let this govern morality is unfair at best, and horrifying at
> >worst.
>
> >This is why letting the Hierogrammates off simply on the basis of their
> >superior understanding is an abhorrent idea.
>

> What I think this ignores is that the continuum needn't end at the human
> with the lowest cognition, it can extend through the range of animals down
> to  the protozoans (and beyond?). Perhaps Paul is one of that small
> minority of
> people who consider all animals to be of equal moral equivalence to  human
> beings,
> equally able to govern morality as any person. If so, his argument makes
> sense.
>
> If he is not then I assume he is in the majority and considers there to be
> a gap
> which separates animals and humans on a moral basis. This gap means that
> animals are separated; not on the same cognitive continuum as adult members
> of human society. Thus we assume the right to kill some populations of
> animals
> (mosquitoes), corral others in game preserves (tigers), use fake mating
> calls to herd
> and protect them (whales), put some in zoos, eat some of them etc.
>
> If we were discussing the real world, I could see Paul's point. But we are
> in a fictional
> world now.  In this world Baldanders is above average in perception but
> still human,
> still on the human continuum. In BotNS, Hierogrammates are not human. They
> have
> powers of perception and travel which dwarf the gap between humans and
> animals.
> Wolfe makes sure we readers are given hierodules, hierarchs and green men
> to know
> that Hierogrammates are several orders of magnitude greater than human
> being.
> Humans judging Hierogrammates carries the weight of lemurs judging the
> wildlife
> preservation efforts of the current Madagascar government administration.
>
> I think the view of beings with superior morality to humans is essentially
> religious.
> I am not religious but I can at least stretch my brain far enough to join
> the majority
> of my fellow humans and understand the principle.
>
> -bsharp

Paul Borochin
PhD student, Fuqua School