(urth) What's So Great About Ushas

b sharp bsharporflat at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 13 11:11:15 PDT 2008

Lane, I think we do agree that capacity for moral judgement and capacity for moral
behavior are different. But I think they are more related than you do.  It seems to
me that greater capacity for moral judgement confers greater moral responsiblity.
Thus animals are generally considered amoral (perhaps with the excpetion of rogue
elephants or trained tigers who turn on their trainers, thus breaking an established
moral code?).  A small child who shoots and kills someone is not to blame, etc. A
white collar embezzler who steals from millionaires is going to prison.

The more you know, the better you are expected to act and the worse you are when
you transgress.  Thus, Hierogrammates, or angels must be expected to be far more
moral than humans.  A human murderer is a bad guy but a  fallen angel or demon
(or megatherian?) is evil incarnate for ignoring God's commands, mating with humans,
starting trouble on earth etc. They are supposed to know better.

Going back to my example from a previous post, we can't expect Hierogrammates to
follow human morality any more than a human could be expected to follow gorilla society
morality, whatever that might be. Hierogrammates seem comfortable with genocide, as
long as there is consent from a representative who manages to pass some incomprehensible
 test.  The Old Testament God didn't even bother with consent before the flood; just the ark
was needed.

I get the impression there are those here who argue that genocide is always wrong, under all
circumstances and it doesn't matter what degree of foresight the perpetrator has, genocide is
always just plain EVIL. This is a very anthropocentric view but perhaps Justified.  Given that
we don't seem to have any direct contact with superior beings at this time, perhaps a secular
humanist view is superior to the religious view which grants superior morality to God and His
agents.

But, since we are dealing with a work of fiction I'll continue to play Angel's Advocate. I'll again
state that we are unqualified to judge Hierogrammates and their actions because we don't have
the depth and breadth of foresight to do so.  Since Genesis is invoked I have to think that Wolfe
has put fallen Hierogrammates in his story who have corrupted Urth and humanity and only drastic
action by good, unfallen angels can provide salvation.  Game wardens.  Eliminating the diseased
portion of a population so the healthy remainder has a chance to recover and re-populate.

So, as Angel's Advocate I am the gorilla trying to convince his fellows that the game warden is good
because he is chasing away the poachers who kill us. And the anti-genocide secular humanists are
the other gorillas who say, "it doesn't matter; not in the slightest. No matter how many of our lives
are saved. Anyone who invades our territory with noisy metal boxes is EVIL"

I commend Lane who explained much better than I can why genocide might not be considered evil
by superhuman beings:

>But consider the Hieros. They aren't so bound to live life in one
>direction, and indeed, may experience time and cause-effect in
>_reverse_. For humans, then, we judge death, even the deaths of
>millions, to be immoral or bad because we, bound up as we are in our
>linear thinking, cannot conceive that there might be something truly
>_after_ death.  I think that most people hope for an afterlife, but
>none of us really knows, in the true sense of knowledge, that there is
>such a thing.

-bsharp