(urth) What's So Great About Ushas

Lane Haygood lhaygood at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 15:38:55 PDT 2008

It may not be that the Hierogrammates are "morally superior" to
humans, in that we all have the same capacity for judging moral and
immoral actions, but rather that their nature makes them able to
perceive moral dimensions on acts that we cannot.

In Kantian philosophy, mankind's knowledge is necessarily limited by
the structure of his experience. The linearity of time forces to
understand the world in a causally-regular, temporally-ordered way. We
arrange the manifold of experience according to definitive A-then-B
schema not because things really _are_ that way, per se, but rather
because _we are that way_ and anything else would be unintelligible.

But consider the Hieros. They aren't so bound to live life in one
direction, and indeed, may experience time and cause-effect in
_reverse_. For humans, then, we judge death, even the deaths of
millions, to be immoral or bad because we, bound up as we are in our
linear thinking, cannot conceive that there might be something truly
_after_ death.  I think that most people hope for an afterlife, but
none of us really knows, in the true sense of knowledge, that there is
such a thing.

My problem, however, with viewing the flood as a "necessary evil" is
that it attempts to define what is "good" or "bad" by its effects.
It's consequentialist, and I object categorically to all forms of
utilitarianism.  Rather, if the flood has any moral dimension at all
(which it might not) it must be good or bad in itself.  The Kantian
test for such a thing would be whether a rational being in Severian's
stead, knowing all of the relevant details about his action, would
have brought the white fountain and re-energized the sun.  The effects
of that, such as causing the deaths of all the Urthlings, are
secondary to the question of whether the New Sun itself is moral. As
to whether Ushas is preferable to Urth, I think that, at least in
Wolfe's universe, that question isn't answerable by a human, because
we would lack the sort of insight in to things that the Hierogrammates
possess, being so unbound by time.

Lane