(urth) What's So Great About Ushas

Paul B pb.stuff at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 12:03:59 PDT 2008

Utilitarianism, which I defined rather than lectured about, is crucial to
this despite what you may say.  You base the argument for foreknowledge
giving moral exemption on the assumption that since the immoral action will
result in greater good, it is in fact moral.  This is again a definition of
utilitarianism.

Since we've come to silly examples, let me give you one as well then, it's
so time-worn it's practically polished.  You're a surgeon who can harvest
the organs of a single worthless hobo to save the lives of great men, and
you know this will work (you're a GOOD surgeon).  Is your doing this moral?
Like a fancy Hierogrammate, you have foresight in this one case, and killing
this hobo will in fact produce greater good.

Does your foreknowledge give you the moral justification for murder?

A utilitarian, incidentally, would agree.  This is why utilitarianism
matters.

Paul