(urth) Juturna

b sharp bsharporflat at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 9 16:09:54 PDT 2008

One support for Jeff Wilson's idea that Juturna is Severian's sister could be their shared pale white skin.
In my view, another would be their bizarre sexual attraction for each other, since I suspect Severian's
family is so cursed to feel that way about each other.

This story is full of liars but I tend to believe Juturna when she describes Abaia as her (and her sisters')
"father-husband".  If there is any correspondence between the undines and the Corn Maidens of the
Naviscaput story, we may believe the undines aren't really very loyal to their incestuous father, Abaia and
might lean toward Severian and the New Sun.

If  Severian is Juturna's brother, is he  to be considered a son of Abaia?  I think the most plausible scenario
 within that theory would be for Juturna and her sisters and Severian to all be pinched off versions of Abaia.
 It would explain (for me) why there are 5 coffins in Severian's mausoleum, two opened.  The first opened
would be Severian 1 (Reechy?) and our Severian the second. The other three go unused.

I think a real hurdle for this theory to overcome could be Idas.  She is so tall as a child it implies that undines
are large by nature, not as a result of being sea-dwelling.  If siblings why would Juturna be so big and Severian
 normal sized?  Also, if undines were pinched off we would think they could be of any size. But Severian's
encounters with Juturna and Idas also suggests that undines are extremely large by nature, not subject to choice.

-bsharp