(urth) bsharp's Inire theory

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Wed Jul 9 12:09:08 PDT 2008

b sharp wrote:
> Jeff Wilson asks:
>> Dare I ask for something that indicates they are shapeshifters, regardless
>> of the point being made? Y'know, objectively?
>
> I think there may be a difference in interpretation. I've noted before I tend
> to interpret the story more from an artistic perspective than scientific.

It doesn't have to be scientific evidence, just textual evidence.

> Jeff I am a bit unclear if you are being serious or specious on your mentions that you think
> Juturna is Severian's sister.  I can see some evidence she is a family member but what
> are the reasons you are thinking sister?

I'm serious in thinking she is a contender for sister, and I am serious
that she is a candidate for shapeshifting dopplegangerhood, more so than
Inire.

I'm still assembling my case, but to summarize:

  - Undine-hood accounts for any differences in coloring and height

  - sibling relationship explains J's inconsistent behavior as
conflicting loyalty to Abaia and to brother

  - J doesn't just save Sev from drowning, but apparently passes on
water-breathing gift, effectively saving him from *ever* drowning and
explains how he is able to spend hours or days underwater late in URTH
even when he has lost his mojo

  - Merryn is a stunted, land-raised changeling

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >