(urth) Inire and House Absolute

b sharp bsharporflat at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 9 06:12:11 PDT 2008

In regard to my suggestion that Inire and the Cumaean have developed some bad
habits in their time on Urth, Roy says:

>There is absolutely no way I can fit that idea into what I thought was your
>basic theory about Inire.

Despite the title of the previous thread I wouldn't want it to be MY theory. I've
made it clear from the beginning I'm here because I know I am not smart
enough to figure out this story by myself. I welcome any ideas that improve
my understanding or that of others.

My current idea is that Inire and the Cumaean are hiero-dudes, but while in human
 form, have been distracted from their purpose by human weaknesses (how many Star
Trek episodes and other SF stories have explored THAT theme?).  If others see
New Sun purpose in every one of their actions, I can accept that but I can't see it
myself at this time.

Roy, I agree with your previous post that Ymar and Appian probably used the book
to make their trip to Yesod.  Moreover there are hints that Severian received his
New Sun potential from Zak bending over him while he was dead on the ship (or
perhaps in the process of creating a new eidolon body).  It would seem Inire was
originally tasked with finding and assisting Urth's savior in the quest for Conciliation.

But that is quite a time gap between Ymar and Appian making the attempt.  What was
Inire doing in that time? Apparently maintaining and elaborating a byzantine society
in which millions of people are held in stasis.  The war is a joke, Severian is told he
could switch armies if he liked...or have both. I don't see how Inire's mechinations directly
helped a New Sun appear with these activities.

I think the Cumaean, as leader of the witches who "raise the dead" is behind the alzabo
brain eating/memorysharing stuff and perhaps kaibits and cloning.  In an interview Wolfe
made it clear he considers Vodalus' corpse eating to be a repugnant activity ("satanic
eucharist" his description?). Should we think Wolfe considers the same activity okay
for Severian, just because his meal is alive and has given consent?

I've always been struck by a 5HoC dream by Number Five in which his father is a captain
who has tied his ship to the dock and won't untie it until he can figure out why his ship isn't
moving. This as Wolfe's commentary on attempting to use cloning to make progress.

I see a similar underlying philosophy in BotNS.  Wolfe is against a "do-nothing" society
which hopes to create a better world by sitting around in stasis and waiting for it to happen.
Severian was born into this static society, created largely by Inire, raised in a guild of compliant
Torturers ("Torturers obey") and shared twice in the satanic eucharist, gaining unearned
knowledge. Despite these setbacks he was able to twice disobey in his role as torturer and
make other independent moral decisions.  In UotNS, Severian mentions at one point that
his actions with Thecla probably first qualified him for New Sun. He is willing to take action, even
killing what he loves, to make things right.

It could be argued that Inire and the Cumaean are necessary for Severian to be created but
that could also be argued for Vodalus, Agia and Hethor, the Ascians and the Jungle Magicians.
While the Increate (Wolfe) put those characters in place we wouldn't say they are consciously
working for the New Sun.  Good and Evil are the hammer and anvil by which God shapes us, yes?

-bsharp