(urth) b sharps's Inire theory

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Sat Jul 5 18:35:20 PDT 2008

Roy C. Lackey wrote:
> Just because I have an old-fashioned sense of fairness, I am going to
> surprise everyone and see if I can present b sharp's case, as I see it, so
> that it is more palatable. Maybe I can recast his theory, in outline, so
> that it doesn't seem to trip all over itself.
>
> The theory that Inire is Rudesind, Fechin and Boatman (maybe some others,
> but not now) is predicated on similarity of physique, simian in nature. The
> other component is that Inire is a Hierogrammate. Like Tzadkiel (hell, he
> may *be* Tzadkiel), he is capable of assuming any form, large or small.

Stop. There is no evidence Tzadkiel can assume _any_ shape. It has
several at its disposal, but we do not know if they are finely
customizable. Also, we do not know that Hierogrammates are a race that
share the same abilities. They might be a society or a class of beings
in the way the Megatherians are, with varying abilities and hindrances.

>  he can have multiple versions of
> himself that maintain separate existences that need not be aware of each
> other at any given time. Thus the Boatman and Rudesind can both be telling
> the truth to Severian about their life stories, even while living
> simultaneously.

This hypothesis seems safely unfalsifiable. If they have separate lives
and memories, how is it remotely useful to consider them the same character?

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >