(urth) Sev's common lineage (another Catherine candidate)

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Thu Jul 3 02:29:16 PDT 2008

In RttW 19, there was a client of the torturers called Tigridia. She was
on the third level, where people were "yelling and screaming all the
time." Her only physical description is that she has "big eyes." Juganu
was attracted to her, and wanted to stay and free her. Silk tried to
pull him back, resulting in a fight. "The woman got in it, and we had a
real fight going until the boy ran off and got the key to her room."

The name Tigridia has two possible legends. One is as a sister of Saint
Patrick. She is sometime credited as the mother of seventeen other
saints. The other is as the daughter of a nobleman named Sancho, who
became a nun. Both of these could be tied to the history of Catherine.
Could Tigridia be her alias in prison? The association of Tigridia =
tiger = cat = Catherine could be made.

There are mysteries about how the fight ended. Did Severian just join
the fight and help stop it? Or did the sight of him cause the woman to
break down? This is probably a changed timeline, so it doesn't matter if
Sev sees her face.

I think she is a viable candidate for Catherine as a long-term prisoner.
What do others think?