(urth) Forging Terminus Est

Transentient transentient at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 20:36:09 PDT 2008

>     So I’ve changed my mind about the improbability of Wolfe’s
> putting a mercury channel in Terminus Est.    I think a craftsman
> could have forged the sword without resorting to unknown technologies.

I never really considered that there was an actual channel of mercury
running down the core of the blade. I always assumed this was just how
Severian described some bit of lost tech.

You don't need to do use anything like a channel of liquid metal in a
sword to make it a good tool for cutting heads. All you need is a good
edge. The rest is up to the skill of the practitioner; I am sure the
executioner's guild trained Severian very well in how to cut so that
the blade's balance is forward or backward.

(Surely I'm not the only one on this list who has practiced a Japanese
sword art like Iaido or batto?)