(urth) Terminus Est

Kerry Benton k.benton at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 17:38:42 PDT 2008

not sure that'd do it.

if you put a valve at tip and tang, facing the same direction, they're
disconnected, effectively... neither air nor mercury can flow.  if you
only use one valve, then at some point the mercury level equalizes,
and you're back to square one.

I still think a vacuum is the way to go, honestly.  I'm not certain it
could be done with technology present now.  Not to even deal with the
issue of maintaining a decent vacuum -- which is hard... damn near
everything is porous to some degree, and a perfect seal is not
happening. -- I think you might compromise the function of the blade,
having to make it extra thick at the center.  I don't know... how
thick can a blade be at the center and still cut through a neck?
Probably pretty thick, given how wide the blade is as well... this
isn't a katana, after all.

Anyhow, i see nothing fundamentally impossible about it...

-k