(urth) Terminus Est

Gary stuff at oreb.net
Wed Jul 2 07:57:00 PDT 2008

Lane Haygood wrote:
> <http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0312890176/ref=sib_dp_pt#reader-link>
> Except of course it has the mercury channel, which I ran by some
> swordsmith friends of mine who told me that it wouldn't be possible to
> actually make a mercury channel and fill it with mercury and have the
> sword retain enough strength.  The spine of the sword is actually what
> gives it its strength.

One of Clarke's laws of prediction should apply to swordsmiths as well
as scientists, eh?
"When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is
possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is
impossible, he is very probably wrong."

Unquestionably it may be weaker than a solid-core sword, but this
doesn't mean it can't be engineered to be sufficiently strong - as
others have pointed out we do for bridge girders.  This is especially
true if it's built around a mercury-and-vaccuum-filled tube of
unobtanium - I'm sure it's true that it can't be done to give the
wonderful combination of properties seen in Terminus Est using current
techniques & materials.  And I'm very willing to assume they can make a
"perfect" seal around a sufficient vaccuum using some arcane machine.

Gary.