(urth) Sev's common lineage

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Wed Jul 2 01:06:54 PDT 2008

Roy C. Lackey wrote:
> The simplest explanation is the one given in both the Play and URTH. In the
> Play she called the arches "windows". Just as Sev moved from arch to arch to
> keep her in view as she was escorted along, so the Countess in the Play
> perceived the man's movement as shifting from window to window. No need to
> complicate matters. Strop that Razor!

I agree with that simple literal explanation, but I was looking beyond
that for a symbolic meaning. They both appear and disappear to each
other, which I speculated could refer to the contingent appearance of
Master Ash.

Here is another clue. Compare this, from UotNS:
"Hers was a lovely face of that complexion called olive and as smoothly
oval as an olive, to, with something in it that tore at my heart; and
though it was strange to me, I had the sensation of return once again. I
felt that in some lost life I had stood just where I was standing then;
and that in that life I had seen her standing beneath me in just that
way... If I had understood her expression at all, it had been one of
mingled hope and fear, and perhaps she too had some sense of a drama
being played upon a second occasion."

to this, from "House of Ancestors":
"He could sense her beside him in the blackness; and unexpectedly,
overwhelmingly, the certainty came to him that they had waited together
like this before, and that the sensation he now felt was familiar
through countless repetitions."

In "House of Ancestors", the protagonist Joe interacts with robots that
tap into the memories of his mother, grandmother, great-grandmother,
etc. They not only read these memories, but they somehow rewrite them
into the past. Joe gets these memories as part of himself through
Lamarkian inheritance. The science is suspect to me, but Wolfe's idea in
that story is that if one interacts with one's mother before the time of
one's conception, then there is a "deja vu" effect. I suggest a similar
idea is being used here.

> <snip> You haven't asked my opinion, but I hope you don't get carried away with trying too hard. FWIW.

As you know from our "Seven American Nights" debate, I do try very hard
to support my theories. I'll try not to get carried away. :)