(urth) (no subject)

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Wed Jul 2 00:10:33 PDT 2008

b sharp wrote:
> Jeff Wilson wrote:
>> Sev's movements in the Houses seem to be under manipulation by Inire,
>> for example the forced perspective room covered by the drop-down
>> painting is explicitly his work. It's possible he similarly employs
>> transcendent doorways that are only there in order to steer Severian
>> over long distances, and would not necessarily be available for anyone's
>> use.
>
> Jeff, you could be right.  Perhaps the principle goes so far that there is nothing
> accidental in the whole of the story of Severian's life.  But it seems to me there
> are unplanned events happening.  For me it seems Wolfe specifically tells us that
> Father Inire's transport may often be used without New Sun purpose, examples being:
> Severian and Jonas finding and using the mirror room, Severian talking about the many
>  trysts etc. through the years in the Secret House and the presence of The Assassin.

How are "Sev and Jonas" not a New Sun purpose?

The trysts can use "normal" secret passageways and such; that there are
so many makes it easy for Inire to park his portals out of the way where
  they remain unmolested until a pawn directs Sev toward one of them, or
it might even be some "real fake" chicanery like a moving room.

I don't see anything special about The Assassin. They could have been
anyone sent at any earlier time who upon gathering most of their wits
post-resurrection continues with their mission and attacks the person on
the throne from behind.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >