(urth) Graves etc.

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Thu Jan 17 21:22:30 PST 2008

I wrote:

>I vowed at the time Marc Aramini posted what Wolfe really had to say about
>_The White Goddess_ that I was going to post a link to that post every time
>someone raised the specter of _The White Goddess_ and its supposed
influence
>on Wolfe. I can't seem to find it now, so it must be in the year of lost
>archives. Could you send it again, Marc?

Well, Marc didn't answer, but I'm not the only one to remember that post.
Thanks to Tony Ellis, I am able to append it here. The post is, indeed, in
the lost year of archives. I know it upsets many long-held and cherished
theories of Wolfe interpretation, which is probably why it has been widely
forgotten, but it bears repeating.

-Roy

    from aramini1 at cox.net
    to urth at urth.net,
    date May 22, 2004 12:09 AM
    subject (urth) wolfe's comments on a few texts

    I asked Mr. Wolfe about a few books which have come up under
discussion on the list as possible sources for his work.  I thought
some of us would be interested in his response, so I'll quote it.
Keep in mind that I asked his opinion about the books, so he is just
answering my questions.

    "You asked about some books.  I haven't read KING JESUS.  I read
enough of THE WHITE GODDESS (which is still around here somewhere) to
conclude that Graves, with all his talent, was a crackpot.  Have you
read I, CLAUDIUS? Or HERCULES MY SHIPMATE?  They're fine, fine books,
both of them.  I read one book by Mary Renault; I'm no longer sure of
the title.  It bored me halfway to madness, and I've never tried
anything else."

    I thought that was interesting.

    Marc Aramini