(urth) Severian as the Outsider?

thomas gamble thomasjgamble at mac.com
Thu Jan 3 10:26:49 PST 2008

	This may well have been covered, and if so I apologize for re-
treading over old ground, but my question is; can a legitimate claim
be made (even a decently founded speculation!) that Severian is the
Outsider? First, he is marked as the only god existing outside the
Whorl (makes sense- no reason for Sevvy to be in Typhon's seed-ship),
is referenced as "dark" (stretching, i know). These two points alone,
of course, do not make a for any kind of argument. However, when we
get to Horn/Silk's journey in SS, and Horn's near-starvation/
hallucinations in the crude trap his son made, he is visited by a
dark character (whom he believes to be the Outsider), wielding a
glowing blue stone (the parallel seems too strong for this to be
anything but the Claw).
	If Severian is indeed the Outsider it raises some questions that
perhaps you could shed some light on for me. First, it would mean
that Typhon recognized and included Sev in his canon, albeit in an
indirect way. This seems peculiar, but I suppose that I wouldn't
preclude him for having some strange respect for the New Sun.
Secondly, it means that Severian enlightens Silk on Sun Street, but
to what end? To prevent Pas' future plans from coming to fruition?

Thomas John Gamble
thomasjgamble at mac.com