(urth) Fuligin invented

Lane Haygood lhaygood at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 10:20:21 PST 2008

I've never heard of an actual mercury channel in a sword. I can ask on
a swordsmanship forum I frequent (where several smiths post) to see if
it's feasible. From what I understand of sword structure, it's not.
You need the center part of the sword to be the strongest part, and
that usually means it needs to be softer and more ductile than the
surrounding steel. Cutting a big channel out of the middle of it might
weaken its structural integrity to the point where it would be useless
for cutting.

The idea is that the edges, the parts that need to be sharp, should be
harder. When steel hardens, it becomes more brittle. Brittle steel
will sharpen and hold an edge. But it's also weak. If you made the
whole sword out of really hard steel it would chip and shatter
whenever it made contact with something. So you make the non-edge part
of the sword out of softer, more flexible metal so that it will
actually absorb shock. But cutting a big channel out of the middle
would remove a lot of the shock-absorbing material.

Lane