(urth) The Tomb of the Unknown Severian

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Wed Jan 9 19:58:26 PST 2008

Adam Thornton wrote:
> On Jan 7, 2008, at 8:51 PM, Jeff Wilson wrote:
>> We don't know what selection process there is for choosing Autarchs,
>> only that there appears to be one.
>
> You don't call MUST...EAT...BRAINS!!! enough of a selection process?
>
> I would have guessed it's along the lines of:
>
> "Augh!  Dying!  Hey!  You!  Yeah, you over there in the tunic!  Grab a
> chisel and a spoon, buddy!  You're about to be the Autarch!"

Funny enough, but didn't we establish that the previous Autarch knew
Severian was being lined up as his successor a minimum of several months
before needing to offer the final brunch to him? It would be disastrous
to wait until the moment of truth to discover the "successor" had no
stomach for enkephalophagy.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >