(urth) AEG: a Wolder on Earth

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Wed Dec 17 00:22:50 PST 2008

Both Gideon and Klauser mentioned that Wolder males could hybridize with
lower animals. Klauser also said that they sometimes try to seduce human
women. Both of these points should have a bearing on the story, otherwise
they are idle curiosities.

Woldercan is supposed to be more advanced than Earth in biology, but exactly
how is not specified. Gid healed a boy's bad heart, when the best medical
care that could be bought on Earth couldn't do it. He has other exotic
talents as well.

Gid is the only character in the story known to have been born on Woldercan.
His father is barely mentioned and his mother not at all. Gid doesn't look
anything like Bob Chase. (16) Both the president and Klauser thought his
eyes were freakish. I propose that Gid is a hybrid, and his mother was the
human half.

Earth antibiotics did not keep his leg from getting infected, and I think he
avoided medical doctors because he knew they would have discovered that he
wasn't entirely human.

-Roy