(urth) Urth Digest, Vol 52, Issue 79

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Fri Dec 12 13:48:10 PST 2008

Witz wrote:

Problems:
---He can't yet know

> >that HD/AP is himself in his own future, as well as an aquastor who
> >presumably is immortal. Later he is stunned when he finds out. So he
> >must be another Severian---Sev 1 out of 2, or else a corpse the single
> >Severian left behind.

The quote above, I believe, is accurate speculation by Severian. Good Intuition.  He's not "stunned" in tUotNS, he just marvels at it.  He encounters his healed face, 10 years older than when he saw Apu Punchau, and he now looks like Apu Punchau whereas he didn't see the likeness before.  He's marveling at this 'new face' not shocked to understand his identity.

There is only One Severian Consciousness.  Many bodies, but only one consciousness. Consciousness is primary in Being. There are not mulitiple Severians unless there are multiple consciousnesses.

OK, but WHICH body is it? Who placed him there? Did the Sleeper live on as a god on Ushas and then go back to his predecessor's time to a tomb built for him by that Autarch? If so, then he would remember, because he contains that Autarch. And anyway, that would mean he eventually died.

Without the Autarch's knowledge, you can't go building a tomb with Autarchial emblems on it any more than you can build a castle and call yourself a Duke.

Perhaps it was intended to be the old Autarch's tomb. He may lie in it after all. We don't know how many Autarchs went to Yesod and failed since Ymar.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 081212-0, 12/12/2008
Tested on: 12/12/2008 4:48:11 PM