(urth) House Absolute and Energy Levels

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Tue Dec 2 10:09:41 PST 2008

Thanks, Tim. I hadn't thought to look in LS, but of course no character in NS knows anything about such things, except Father Inire.

The clues about the sun weakening and the Earth's core cooling (and the years shortening) must have nothing to do with energy use, then. There's no reason to turn to a new energy source if you have an old one that still works. And the Commonwealth has little need for even fusion energy.

I never heard of the K scale. I notice 2 interesting items from the Wiki:

Large scale application of fusion power <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusion_power>. Type I implies the generation of about 5 kg of energy per second. This can be achieved by fusing about 1,000 kg of hydrogen <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen> into helium <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helium> each second, a rate of about 3 × 10^10  kg/year. A cubic km of water contains about 10^11  kg of hydrogen, and the Earth's oceans <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean> contain about 1.3 × 10^9  cubic km of water <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean#Physical_properties>. So this rate of production can be sustained over geological time scales.

and

Zoltan Galantai has defined a further extrapolation of the scale, a Type IV level which controls the energy output of the visible universe <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universe>; this is within a few orders of magnitude of 10^45  W. Such a civilization approaches or surpasses the limits of speculation based on current scientific understanding, and may not be possible. Frank J. Tipler <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_J._Tipler>'s Omega point <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_point_%28Tipler%29> would presumably occupy this level, as would the Biocosm <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biocosm> hypothesis. Galantai has argued that such a civilization could not be detected, as its activities would be indistinguishable from the workings of nature (there being nothing to compare them to).^[19] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kardashev_scale#cite_note-Zoltan-18>

That certainly sounds like the Hierodules.

As for time---I agree, it doesn't really matter how long a Great Year is. But I think knowing it's about 20,000 years lets us rule out theories of what I was calling "extreme" futurity ...

Message: 2