(urth) Nessus, House Absolute, etc.

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Mon Dec 1 12:09:38 PST 2008

To all:

I have to step back from my statement that Buenos Aires is not on the
Rio de la Plate. It IS in fact on the estuary of that river---an estuary
that is so wide at that point that it may as well be a sea. So yes,
Nessus was originally probably a native settlement by the sea/where
Gyoll meets the sea, and Buenos Aires has already moved north from where
it was "founded" by Spaniards. However, the Wiki doesn't mention any
previous settlement at all:

Seaman Juan Díaz de Solís
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_D%C3%ADaz_de_Sol%C3%ADs>, navigating
in the name of Spain <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spain>, was the first
European to reach the Río de la Plata
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%ADo_de_la_Plata> in 1516. His
expedition was cut short when he was killed, supposedly during an attack
by the native Charrúa <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charr%C3%BAa> tribe
in what is now Uruguay <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uruguay>.

The city of Buenos Aires was first established as /Ciudad de Nuestra
Señora Santa María del Buen Ayre/^[7]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buenos_Aires#cite_note-Short_history-6>
(literally "City of Our Lady Saint Mary of the Fair Winds") on February
2, 1536 by a Spanish expedition led by Pedro de Mendoza
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedro_de_Mendoza>. The city founded by
Mendoza was located in what is today the San Telmo
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Telmo> district of Buenos Aires, south
of the city centre.

More attacks by the indigenous peoples forced the settlers away, and in
1541 the site was abandoned. A second (and permanent) settlement was
established in 1580 by Juan de Garay
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_de_Garay>, who arrived by sailing
down the Paraná River <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paran%C3%A1_River>
from Asunción <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asunci%C3%B3n> (now the
capital of Paraguay <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraguay>). Although
upon the refounding, the city itself was named Holy Trinity
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_Buenos_Aires> (Spanish
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_language>: /Santisima Trinidad/)
and only the port was still called Buenos Aires, over the next two
centuries the port's name won out.

So, whatever. Does anyone know of any origins/meanings for the name
"Nessus"?

Son of Witz---Where did you get the textfiles of TBotNS?

Also, my guess as to the futurity of Urth is no more than 100,000 years.
My 2 cents.

Dave

---
Virus Database (VPS): 081130-0, 11/30/2008
Tested on: 12/1/2008 3:09:39 PM