(urth) The argument for Intractability

Son of Witz sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org
Wed Dec 24 10:28:28 PST 2008

>Jeff Wilson writes:
> There's a problem in that deities by definition transcend the physical
world, but Sev's first-person narrative remains largely linear and
divided from that of "other Severians" from which he is separated in
space and time, both Urthly and Yesodi time.
>>A certain amount of this
>>separation has to be in order for his mortal incarnations to be valid,
>>but there's no enduring union of mortal and divine identities, just a
>>few short flashes of insight of the former into the nature of the
>>latter.  This doesn't make Severian a deity any more than a really good
>>reception at Karaoke makes me Elvis, just someone who for a moment can
>>experience a tiny piece of Elvishood.
>
>Does this perhaps depend on your definition of a deity? Was/is Jesus a deity?
>Seems to me he had flashes of it, e.g.predicting his own death. But he had
>mostly human moments, growing up, eating, socializing, getting angry at the
>money changers and at the end wondering why his Father had forsaken him.
>
>Deity or not, I've felt Severian is meant to be the Urth analog of Earth's
>Jesus.  He is darker, more sinful, not as bright as Jesus..but the same might
>be said comparing all of Urth to Earth.
>
>-bsharp

I'm with you bsharp.
I don't really follow your reasoning Jeff.
How do you account for his consciousness residing in a star?
or the power of a freaking star raising the dead, healing tumors, etc, etc.
There is no rational explanation for that, based on science and logic, that I can imagine explaining that.  anyone?
It seems a completely obvious metaphor. Severian's body is a puppet, and his consciousness is a "heavenly body"

I don't understand this line "Sev's first-person narrative remains largely linear and divided from that of "other Severians" from which he is separated in space and time"
I suppose you mean Apu Punchau.  That's the only instance where there are two conscious Severians.  both are eidolons.  There can be multiple instances of the same eidolon. Mold and molded.

~witz