(urth) The argument for Intractability

b sharp bsharporflat at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 24 10:15:11 PST 2008

Jeff Wilson writes:

>A certain amount of this
>separation has to be in order for his mortal incarnations to be valid,
>but there's no enduring union of mortal and divine identities, just a
>few short flashes of insight of the former into the nature of the
>latter.  This doesn't make Severian a deity any more than a really good
>reception at Karaoke makes me Elvis, just someone who for a moment can
>experience a tiny piece of Elvishood.

Does this perhaps depend on your definition of a deity? Was/is Jesus a deity?
Seems to me he had flashes of it, e.g.predicting his own death. But he had
mostly human moments, growing up, eating, socializing, getting angry at the
money changers and at the end wondering why his Father had forsaken him.

Deity or not, I've felt Severian is meant to be the Urth analog of Earth's
Jesus.  He is darker, more sinful, not as bright as Jesus..but the same might
be said comparing all of Urth to Earth.

-bsharp