(urth) The argument for Intractability

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Tue Dec 23 19:42:38 PST 2008

Son of Witz wrote:
> I don't think it completely eradicates free will.
> It's just that it's not linear. It's all happened already.

This is correct, as far as we know. Napoleon had free will, despite the
existence of records in our time that detail every major and many minor
decisions he made. However not all the circumstances of those decisions
are known, and the presence of a time traveler or indirect meddling
could change the circumstances, so that Napoleon could very well deviate
from the historical Napoleon's choices.

> inhabitants of the timeline just experience it moment by moment.
> I don't think "the exact genetic combination" is important. Severian's
> consciousness is what matters, not his body's cells. The book makes that
> point again and again.

A female Severian (50% likelihood) would not be raised as a torturer,
and would thus have a very different mentality.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >