(urth) OT: Vance Autobiography

Tim Walters walters at doubtfulpalace.com
Thu Dec 18 21:39:45 PST 2008

Adam Thornton wrote:

> Hugos are voted on by fandom (specifically, Worldcon members).  Which
> does mean that a) a lot of people had to have read it, and b) a lot of
> people had to have liked it.

Surprisingly few Worldcon members actually vote. "Memorare" lost
182-146-124 on the first round (due to the Hugo's instant-runoff rules,
it came in fourth rather than third).

Also consider that the nominees were available for free in electronic
editions to Worldcon members, and that it's generally considered poor
form to vote without reading them.

Some years the good guys mostly win--in 2008, the Wolfe loss was the
only one I disagreed with. Some years, gag me with a spoon.

There's a lot of luck involved. Wolfe just hasn't gotten the break he
needs yet.

--

Tim Walters | The Doubtful Palace | http://doubtfulpalace.com