(urth) AEG clones...send them in

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Thu Dec 18 04:24:17 PST 2008

James Wynn wrote:
> So if Bill Reis is one of the evil men in the world who are the other
> two that John referred to?
> Wally Rosenquist and Wade Rusterman? So are we talking about three
> separate men here?

I'm still unsure, but the idea is growing on me a little. There's the
odd change of names at the end:
"Oh Bill, my poor Bill. Why did you have to die?"..."Please, oh please
Wally! Come back to me!" This makes sense if Cassie has figured out that
they are two different people.

Another way to get doubles other than cloning is by time-travel. If a
person hopped to Woldercon, there' s a possibility that they could
return before they left. Early on, Reis shows uncanny speed in reacting
to Cassie's recruitment by Chase. He gets a play book written, a
bracelet made, and a director in place before she has even performed
once at star level. Time-travel might explain this.

On the other hand, if Bill Reis had clones or temporal doubles who were
working with him, then we would expect them to help him when he needed
to be in two places at once. We have a case where it would have been
convenient for this to have happened and it didn't: the date with Cassie
at Rusterman's. Reis wanted to go out with her and also search her
apartment. If he had a co-operative double, why not do both and give
himself an alibi for the search?