(urth) Crowley and mystery

Adam Thornton adam at io.com
Wed Dec 17 16:13:52 PST 2008

On Dec 17, 2008, at 4:38 PM, Zvi Gilbert wrote:

> I don't find either of those books particularly confusing. Wonderful,
> brilliant, and exquisite, yes; but they're not New Sun-like. I
> suspect a
> discussion of it for me would devolve into quoting favorite lines and
> swooning.
>
> However, Crowley's long and complex four novel series Aegypt (The
> Solitudes, Love & Sleep, Daemonomania, Endless Things) is something
> that I
> would love to hash over with interested parties. As many of its
> characters and situations are drawn from history (John Dee, Giordano
> Bruno, and so forth), I would just like some particularly erudite
> person
> to lecture at me about the source material -- I suspect I would
> learn a
> lot that way.

I, er, might be able to help.

I did my Master's minor concentration in something my advisor and I
agreed not to call "Renaissance Weird Shit."

It's all a bit fuzzy now, of course, but the main point is: read
Frances Yates.  She *did* look rather like the White Queen.  I don't
know if her sister looked like the Red Queen.  Anyway, most of what
you need to know about Dee and Bruno (at least for the purposes of
reading Crowley) you can get out of Yates.

Adam