(urth) AEG: hypnotism

stoneox17 at aol.com stoneox17 at aol.com
Sun Dec 14 20:04:34 PST 2008

Everybody: thanks for the great discussion on rereading AEG.

I think I've discovered another clue: Gideon is a phenomenal
hypnotist. Here's the evidence:

Talking with the president, Gideon says:
"There is even hypnosis, with which a skillful operator can do
much more than the public has been led to believe." (20)

and at the mountain (all but the last ellipsis are mine):

  "'Sit down.' Gideon sat on a smaller stone facing hers. ...
She found that she was seated, although she had not
intended to sit. ...
   "'The first thing I must explain is how badly you need sleep.
... I want you to sleep in the car as we drive home. You
should sleep all morning, if you can. I know you must be very,
very tired ...." Behind him: great, dark wings." (43)

And indeed, Cassie does sleep through the ride back, and
wakes up just in time for lunch at Walker's.

So where does hypnotism (maybe post-hypnotic suggestion)
reappear later in the book?

Peter