(urth) AEG clones

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Sun Dec 14 16:27:59 PST 2008

Roy C. Lackey wrote:
> Why put himself in a position to be caught in a lie that served no purpose?
> Why did Wolfe put that bit of conversation in the story?

If Bill was actually in the "empty" seat the whole time, then perhaps
"You were wearing green the first time I saw you," is a lie and yet not
a lie. During the play Cassie was projecting Mildred, the soon-to-be
murder victim. When he saw her in green she was herself.

I also think her love glamour worked through proximity. Bill started
changing his mind about destroying her when she came up to the
microphone, and completely dumped the idea when she sat beside him in
the car. The distance from the stage to his seat was too far for him to
get the full effect.

So, suppose he sat through the whole play, invisible. There are a couple
of good reasons for changing his story. The first is that Cassie or
Chase might have checked with the ushers and found out his reserved seat
was empty. Reis had to say he lied about being there or admit he walked
invisible. More importantly, he didn't want to be associated with the
death of her friend Jimmy. If he admitted being there, he would be
admitting he could be the man in the alley who bribed Jimmy and possibly
murdered him. That wouldn't be a good start to his intended relationship.

> Maybe someone felt it necessary to invent
> the cousin story to offer a plausable reason for an uncanny resemblance
> between company presidents. Or to explain why the current president had not
> aged as much as he should have after "years and years".

Possibly. I still think we are invited to check the history of the
Rusterman name in the Nero Wolfe books and see if it was merely an
invented name to avoid annoying xenophobic Americans with a strange name
like "Vukcic's."  (I don't have the books handy now). If so, this cousin
stuff is just an in-joke.

> Anyway, if there are no clones in the story, why did Wolfe bring up the
> subject in the last chapter? If he hadn't, I wouldn't have brought this
> topic up. I hate clone theories. <g
Clones in other Wolfe works are a sign of a failing, narcissistic
society ("Cherry Jubilee", and especially "In Looking-Glass Castle"). We
know that natural children are barely valued (the bus accident report
and the Supreme Court ruling about infanticide on p. 86).  That may be
enough of a reason to include them, without having an actual clone in
the plot.