(urth) AEG clones

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Sun Dec 14 04:26:07 PST 2008

I'm not too convinced of the Rian-clone theory, but another bit of
evidence is his name. It means "Little King." Since Ries is the King, it
seems like a "Mini-me" sort of name.

> Diplomacy? Cassie had seen him in the audience (53), and at the cast party
> he said he had been there. (66) So was he lying then or now? Sure, his first
> sight of her could have been on vid; he demonstrated the capability to her
> three months later in his car. But Gid had put the glamour on her less than
> twenty-four hours before that final performance. So who did she see in the
> audience?

Ries was telling her a lot of lies at that point; his accounts of the
gold bracelet were highly contradictory. He didn't know that she knew he
could walk unseen, or that she caught a glimpse of him at the play. The
lie kept explanations simple. The alternative of a clone (artificially
aged to be Bill's double and also taught to walk unseen) is too much.

> The waitress at Rusterman's who looked like Alexis Cabana asked Cassie if
> she was really there to meet Mr. Rosenquist, and said that he was a friend
> of Mr. Rusterman. When Cassie asked if there was a real Mr. Rusterman, she
> said: "He's the company president. There was another Mr. Rusterman years and
> years ago, and he opened the first one. But now this Mr. Rusterman is
> president of our whole chain. He's a cousin or something." (118)  Cousin
> indeed. We know that Rusterman is really Reis.

The waitress may be repeating what she was told. We know that the real
founder of Rusterman's was Marko Vukcic, the childhood friend of Nero
Wolfe in Montenegro.