(urth) Abaia and the undines

Son of Witz sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org
Fri Dec 12 13:48:03 PST 2008

Immortal may be the wrong word.  Severian's various bodies live and die, but his consciousness does not die and is continous between the "lives" of his various bodies. And it probably doesn't die when he finally rests in his tomb.  Midway through Urth, he very clearly understands his body is a puppet.  Puppet of what? A white fountain? a New Sun?  what powers do these have to raise the dead if this is all mechanical astroengineering?
It's METAPHOR.  It's a HEAVENLY BODY.  Severian's consciousness is up there in the cosmos, and it has many instantiations in the temporal world. Just, as I believe, the LOGOS does, which is why I've generally tried to use Logos rather than Christ, because everyone seems to get caught up in the specific history of this Jesus character as if that's all there is to the Logos. as if the concept of the Logos didn't preexist Jesus. As if the concept of a redemptive figure that must die so that life can come anew didn't preexist Christ.  This is what I'm getting at, nothing Moral or Doctrinal, or, *shudder*, historical.

But that bit about all of us being regarded as aquastors of the increate is dead on. That's what a lot of this is about. Christ isn't the only instance of the God, we all are, that's why one finds Christ in their hearts. God is right there.

~sonofwitz