(urth) Aside on Christ figures in TBotNS

Son of Witz sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org
Fri Dec 12 09:13:59 PST 2008

Yeah, I see the correspondence.
In that view Yaweh must be an archangel or something. not exactly. he's the aborted offspring of Sophia, if I remember right.  But either way, he's in a category far above humanity, which from our perspective is very hard to differentiate the levels of ontology.

Parody has come up in this discussion of Christ in BoTNS, and I don't think it's unfair, but I don't think it deflates the lofty things either.  I find UotNS practically hilarious. it is parody, and slapstick. More and more I seem to be of the opinion that UoTNS is truly a sequel to, and not a part of BoTNS.  BoTNS is very much "Is he the messiah"  UoTNS is more "he's the "Messiah" but what does that mean? who's Messiah? and to what ends?"  That Severian ends up as a "petty god", as (I believe it was) Roy put it, is both funny, and well deserved. dude's been through the wringer, been manipulated to the ends of time, and now he gets to rest and live it up a bit in the fruits of his labor.