(urth) Severian among the Ascians

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Fri Dec 12 07:32:28 PST 2008

The text is here:

Again I endured my imprisonment in the jungle ziggurat by Vodalus, the year I had spent among the Ascians,
my flight from the white wolves in the Secret House; and a thousand similiar terrors, until
at last it seemed to me that a demon desired that I surrender my miserable existence to
Apu-Punchau, and that the demon was myself.

Wolfe is here:

Wolfe: "There was the time when Severian encountered assassins in the
Secret House who had come to kill Ymar, an autarch a chiliad dead. I may
write about that sometime. And the year he spent as a slave of the
Ascians. But I doubt that either will make it into print."

Since this was in 1982, it was before he wrote TUotNS, in which Severian does indeed meet a corpse of an assassin
who comes to life as he watches, then presumably stabs Valeria.

Message: 2