(urth) Abaia and the undines

Son of Witz sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org
Thu Dec 11 13:35:14 PST 2008

>The mausolem is indeed a mystery. One thing we know for sure is that
>it is Severian's. "I have disturbed my own tomb, and I go to lie in
>it." It contains three closed coffins and two empty coffins. Who could
>be in them?
>
>I like the suggestion in Lexicon Urthus that the Sev of UotNS went
>back in time and had it constructed for himself when he got old. The
>rose, spaceship, and fountain markings on the tomb look like a coded
>message about the New Sun. The three closed coffins could be the
>remains of Odilio, Pega, and Thais. Perhaps the two open coffins were
>for Severian and whoever was his wife in his old age. Perhaps they
>were raided by tomb robbers or relic-seekers.

Interesting, I hadn't considered those three characters.  good suggestion.

>For the face-changing issue, they are talking about how the faces of
>rulers are idealized and ennobled in portraits and sculptures. He
>didn't look that noble in real life, even on the day he came to claim
>Valeria. But now he does -- after his character-transformative
>experiences of becoming the New Sun and the Conciliator. Valeria
>laughs and cries because now it is too late for her.

Though his portrait as Autarch is horribly scarred, at least on the coin.
Said you gave him a chrisos like none he'd seen."
"He may return it, if he wishes. Do you want to see one of our coins?"
 I passed a chrisos across the table.
He examined it, bit it, and gave it back to me. "Gold all right. Looks a trifle like you, 'cept he seems to have got himself cut up. Don't suppose you noticed."

The Chrisos Severian has is from his reign, one Idas brought with when he boarded along with Sev. unless I'm mistaken.