(urth) Abaia and the undines

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Thu Dec 11 12:37:25 PST 2008

That makes sense! I thought Juturna was referring to the next Severian's drowning in Gyoll, which would mean there are not 2 (which I have argued against before) but an infinite series of Severians (which is insane).

But this is better.

Although I still don't understand the corpse in the tomb where Severian played. And now that I understand that he did not move into a new body on the starsailship but was recreated by Tzadkiel, I don't understand why his face was changed when he returned from Yesod. Valeria recognized him for the first time then.

...I asked the chiliarch whether he had been a junior officer when I sat the Phoenix Throne.
"No, Autarch. I was only a boy."
"Yet clearly you recall me."
"It's my duty to know the House Absolute, Autarch. There are pictures and busts of you in some parts of it."
"They..."
The voice was so weak I scarcely heard it. I turned to make sure it was indeed Valeria who spoke.
"They don't really look as you did. They look the way I thought---"
I waited, wondering.
She waved a hand. It was a weak old woman's gesture. "As I thought you might when you came back to me, back to our family tower in the Old Citadel. They look the way you do now." She laughed, and began to sob.

It couldn't be age. Severian has been gone for weeks or months at most.

Message: 5