(urth) Abaia and the undines

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Sun Dec 7 12:19:16 PST 2008

Craig, all that is very well said and very much in line with the conclusions I have been groping toward. I agree that Wolfe is inquisitive and his writing is exploratory. He asks questions without necessarily answering them---and the basic speculative-fictional question is "what if"? I think that some posters here assume that "Christian symbolism" means something straightforward and orthodox; someone used the word "explicit." But that's the wrong idea.

In a sense, Wolfe is being deliberately blasphemous, especially if you accept the evidence of Severian's serial incest along with his parody of Christ. He's a parody of a god, really, not too different from the gods of the Whorl or ancient Greece. Certain events are plainly analogous to communion, but I never knew what to do with that. (I also like a previous post about Severian being a manifestation of the Body of Christ---I don't know what that means, but it sounds right.)

We know that Wolfe inverts and perverts myth of all kinds, and I think we can assume he is quite knowledgeable about the various strains of Christianity that preceded the Catholic version. The more you know about that history, the less you take for granted.

(I have always especially found Gnosticism fascinating, perhaps because it strikes me as a version of Christianity for very unsentimental and skeptical---even paranoid---people. I can relate, because regular Christianity has always made me feel like I was being fed a line, and an overly sweetened one at that. Wolfe is never sweet.)

Message: 4