(urth) An Old mystery ...

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Fri Dec 5 22:04:56 PST 2008

John Watkins wrote:
> On 12/5/08, Jeff Wilson <jwilson at io.com> wrote:
>> John Watkins wrote:
>>> Roy explained it back in June.
>>>

>> http://lists.urth.net/htdig.cgi/urth-urth.net/2008-June/009108.html
>> His argument is well reasoned, but it rests on some fine hair splitting that
>> falls below the demonstrated level of lexical resolution of dialogue in the
>> Book that is translated across universes and back in time. "we condemned"
>> simply can't be taken at literal face value in a book deliberately written
>> to be ambiguous at every level.
>>

> "We have condemned" strikes me as remarkably straight-forward.

So do it. It's very suspicious that a tongueless being from another
universe is so succinct in their communication with a race they've never
met before.

> character claims responsibility for something that, logically, she
> would be better off denying.  What's your proposed reading of that
> bit?
>
> I guess it could mean "We (by not taking direct action after Typhon
> screwed everything up) have (in effect) condemned..." but that seems
> to me to be a more tortured reason.

Or perhaps they have condemned the peoples of Urth in the soverign
governmental sense, and taken their fate out of the hands of humans
after human agency allowed the poisoning of the sun.

> Additionally, without Apheta's claim of responsibility for the black
> hole, what are we to make of it?

I'm pretty sure there was talk of Scylla being behind it.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >