(urth) An Old mystery ...

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Fri Dec 5 06:51:16 PST 2008

And that relates to something I brought up earlier, which is the role of doubt in faith, and the way science fiction can either conform to our sci-fi expectations or break them (as Delany seems to suggest in the quoted passage), or both.

Is the Increate still God if his angels are super-scientists? Is the outcome of TBotNS a big deal if the basic plot is a cleverly contrived mechanism constructed of sci-fi cliches taken to their logical extreme? Is God still God if the entire universe is just a complex clockwork operating by simple rules that still, somehow, allow a good deal of unpredictability and mystery? Is Jesus still Christ if the entire myth about him was made up from other myths? These are parallel questions, in a way.

Message: 8