(urth) An Old mystery ...

Son of Witz sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org
Thu Dec 4 13:02:39 PST 2008

>I'll just reply to Son of Witz here as well:  if the Sun was dying for
>natural causes, or because of the actions of Typhon, and if there was
>no feasible way to evacuate Urth to other settled planets, and the
>destruction of Urth was the only way to cause this "long term
>resurrection," then I would agree that it is a "good thing" in the
>ultimate sense, and the casualties are unfortunately necessary.
>
>But we know, textually, that the Hierogrammates are behind the dying
>Sun, that there are other settled planets, and that evacuation was
>feasible.  The difference between an airlift and the flooding, other
>than the millions (billions?) of lives saved, is that it wouldn't
>advance the Hierogrammates' eugenic agenda.

I see your points here, and they surely are a valid reading as well.

but,
it's a metaphorical microcosm with stand-ins, and I think the reading I'm proposing is at least as valid.

I suppose I just find it all a LOT less interesting to boil it down to a Self Preservation or Eugenics plan without the will of the Increate involved.