(urth) An Old mystery ...

John Watkins john.watkins04 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 11:59:15 PST 2008

On 12/4/08, Jordon Flato <jordonflato at gmail.com> wrote:
> So, is Christ's Mass Genocide at the second coming not 'Christlike?'

Not exactly sure that's a fair way to describe the Second Coming...the
End of the Universe is naturally a "mass genocide" in a sense, but a
very limited one...

> I suppose you can argue that there is also the salvation of souls with that
> Apocolypse as opposed to Urth's.  However, I don't think you can write that
> out of New Sun.  We don't know what happens to everyone's soul on Urth when
> it's destroyed, but, presumably, if this a world in which God exists, then
> SOMETHING happens to those souls.  They are not all extinguished forever.
> Some may go to DIS or hell or whatever

Well, yes, but neither Severian nor, it seems, Tzadkiel is the master
of life and death.  They have no sure knowledge of life "on the other
side," nor any authority over creation the way a divine being does.

>(unless DIS is just pluto, in which
> case, I guess those billions of souls don't go there really).  Just because
> Wolfe doesn't specifically mention what happens to peoples souls when Urth
> is destroyed doesn't mean there isn't some sort of redemmption for them.

It'd be nice to have some textual evidence, though, wouldn't it?