(urth) A new mystery ...

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Wed Dec 3 23:47:17 PST 2008

Dan'l quoted and wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 3:35 PM, Jeff Wilson <jwilson at io.com> wrote:
>
> > Roy C. Lackey wrote:
> >
> >> In the Christian mythos, Jesus *died* to save the world, so to speak,
even
> >> if that world was in the everafter. He was unique, in the Christian
> >> mythos,
> >> in that he was resurrected.
> >>

> > What about Lazarus, et al?
> >

> And also Talitha (in the Book of Acts); and also the boy Elijah
> raises. Christ is unique in that nobody resurrects him, he does
> it himself.

That's the essence of what I meant, that in Christian thought the birth,
life, death and resurrection of a god who was God was a one-time event, a
Big Deal, unlike the many "pagan" dying-and-resurrected gods before him. And
after the resurrection Jesus went away and has stayed away. Severian came
back to Ushas in the flesh and lived it up as a petty god. A petty god
because, after bringing the New Sun, most of his Conciliator power was gone.
He became useless superannuation at best, a false god in a new pantheon at
worst, as the Sleeper.

-Roy