(urth) House Absolute

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Wed Dec 3 16:26:06 PST 2008

David Stockhoff wrote:
> That's a fine answer, especially the second part.
>
> However, to be fair, Severian also remarks on tree stumps having been
> petrified, and then performs one of the speculations for which he is
> notorious, without pointing even slightly in the direction of hubris.
> Perhaps these can also be read as opportunities for Severian to be
> Severian.

Petrified tree stumps are no problem, they can happen in as little as
100,000 years, and the pile of uncorruptive statue-bodies at Saltus
demonstrate that a similar preservative process was in use in some
distant time - for all we know, the tree stumps were thus petrified for
use playing draughts in a park.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >