(urth) A new mystery ...

Lane Haygood lhaygood at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 16:11:48 PST 2008

The etymology of these words shall help.

Eidolon is a Greek philosophical term, denoting the abstract reality of an
idea.  For Plato, these are the universal Forms, the perfect instantiations
of a given idea that all particular instances of are imperfect emanations.
Aquastor comes from Paracelsus, an entity formed from thought alone.  So an
Eidolon is a projection from a higher world (the Platonic world of
ideals/Yesod) to a lower world (the physical world/Briah). An aquastor would
be a created being formed of pure thought (intention).

It's also important to note that Severian only absorbs some of Thecla's
memory and personality, but not her consciousness itself.  While these
things may be in some way linked to the brain, the sense of identity, the
self-consciousness and transcendental unity of apperception, is not, and
thus, Severian-as-intentional-being never experiences a disconnect between
his death(s) and rebirth(s).

Lane