(urth) A new mystery ...

Son of Witz sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org
Tue Dec 2 12:56:36 PST 2008

>Does anyone know whose body Severian took over after he fell from a
>great height inside the sailship?
>
>And is it this body which writes the first three books? I would assume
>this must be.
>
>And did the first Severian also take over this body?
>
>Dave
>

>---

This is something that confuses me. having just read that part.
My friend suggests he's an Eidolon at this point.
But I think he may have died and been resurrected in the very first part of Shadow, swimming in Gyoll, leaving behind the skull that he finds later?
He's also resurrected in the Avern Duel, but there is no additional body. Perhaps he just came close to death.  I think that's where the eidolon reading comes in, because that's the only body left behind, unless the skull in Gyoll is that.

Although,it's plausible he could have been having an Out of Body Experience when he closed the dead Severian's eyes after that fall. There are other instances where Sev has a sort of astral projection that he views himself from without himself.  I'm gonna reread it with that in mind, because that could probably account for all of them. No?

~witz