(urth) House Absolute

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Mon Dec 1 12:00:06 PST 2008

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes wrote:
> Nessus as B.A. is *not* universally accepted. There is a
> small group, of whom I am one, who take it as given that
> the continents have changed by the time of the NS. It
> appears that the core of the Urth has cooled; this is implies
> a futureity of hundreds of millions, probably billions, of years
> from our time. And until the core *does* cool to solidity,
> tectonics will continue to move the continents around,
> submerge some and raise up others, as it has done since
> the crust hardened.
>
> Therefore I suggest that to identify the contient of
> Severian's journey as South America is not so much
> wrong as meaningless.

The Stone Town would not have survived millions of years after the time
of the Incas in recognizeable form. Plus, in the afterword of _Shadow_,
"G.W." the translator of Severian's ms flatly states that he has
photographed multiple buildings that remain standing in Severian's time,
again implying that the separation is on a scale of dozens of millenia
at most.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >