(urth) AEG: a Wolder on Earth

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Sat Dec 27 06:25:47 PST 2008

At the post"Red Spot" party, Wolfe includes some interactions between
Norma and Vince. I'd like to look at them for clues to see if they were
ever married. That may help clarify whether she means Vince or Reis when
she says "I used to be married to the volcano god."

Vince mentions "the Gray Neighbors" and Norma says "I'll be damned if I
have the foggiest idea what that's supposed to mean" (p. 64). If they
were married for two years, it's surprising that Norma never heard Vince
speak of this before.

"You've made westerns. I know you have," Norma says to Vince on p. 65.
The repetition "I know you have" weakens the assertion, as if she thinks
he would doubt her knowledge. This is more evidence against the marriage.

Incidentally, the fact that Vince has made westerns indicates he isn't
just Reis under a glamour. Westerns are typically movies or TV shows,
not plays, and glamours can't fool cameras. Vince may be a "big name"
actor who has come down in the world. (He was also used for voice-overs
in "Memorare." The cult-trap seems to be one big glamour field itself,
including the camera defect. Could there be a connection to Gideon Chase
or his father?)