(urth) intractability

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Fri Dec 26 13:45:18 PST 2008

Marc Aramini wrote:
> It is wrong to say He does not exist in Wolfe, but often the material machinations of evil serve are sublimated to His purpose rather than a result of direct action on His part.

It might be useful to compare Long Sun/Short Sun with Pirate Freedom,
where God seems to take a direct hand (indeed, a divine miracle seems to
be the only available explanation for the time-travel). Is that story
intractable, even if (as I theorize) Bram Burt is another time traveler
and Chris is his son? It seems like it could be, but it's probably
tractable with multiple linear rewrites.

1) Burt goes back in time from the convent, does rather badly, and
nearly dies. He arrives back at the day of his birth, older and wiser.
2) With advance warning from his older counterpart, Burt2 trains and
prepares, and brings back LeSage as an accomplice to help him. This time
he becomes a successful pirate, and leaves treasure for himself to pick up.
3) Burt2, now a wealthy gangster, decides to have a son, Chris. He
doesn't want his son in the same business, so he arranges that Chris
will be at the convent for the time-shift. Burt3 will try to look after him.
4) Multiple iterations are built up for Chris, as Burt and LeSage learn
from experience when and how to help him. Chris eventually lives to find
the woman of his dreams, Novia.
5) The first time this happens, Chris has to leave Novia alone or with
someone untrustworthy. He decides to go back and help her, as Ignacio.

Comparing BoTLS and PF, I would say Silk is a good man in a bad
religion, and Chris is a bad man in a good religion. When they are
exposed to the real world, Silk loses his innocence and Chris reforms.